(Makes 6-8 Individual Pies)
- 1 cup tigernut flour
- 1 cup Anti-grain apple flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp maple sugar
- 1/2 cup pureed green plantain (from 1 plantain)
- 1/2 cup cold lard
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
- 1 cup fresh chopped strawberry
- 1 cup chopped fresh peach
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour (plus more for dusting)
- 2 tbsp maple sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp lard – melted
- In a food processor puree 1 green plantain, transfer mixture to a bowl once blended smooth, and set aside for later use.
- Back in the food processor, pulse together the tigernut flour, apple flour, sea salt, maple sugar, and 1/2 cup pureed green plantain.
- Once crumbly, pulse in lard one tbsp at a time, then the cold water, until a ball of dough has just begun to form.
- Transfer the dough to plastic wrap, form into a flat circle, and wrap up, allowing to chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- To make the filling, chop fresh strawberry and peaches into like-size chunks.
- Place the fruit in a bowl and mix together with the arrowroot flour, maple sugar, vanilla, sea salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Once the dough has chilled, flour your work space with arrowroot flour, and roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Use a circular cut-out (such as a biscuit cutter, or the top of a mason jar) to cut an even amount of dough circles, transferring them to a parchment lined baking sheet. *Repeat with dough until all is used up.
- Next, spoon 1 tbsp of the filling into the center of half of the prepared circles, use your fingers to rim the bottom circle with melted lard, and then lightly place a second circle of dough on top of each filled pie, lightly pressing down the edges with your fingers.
- Use a fork to create a textured boarder around the rim of each pie, and then use a knife to slit a criss cross in the top of each pie.
- Brush the tops of each pie lightly with remaining lard, and then place the baking sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Recipe from Beyond The Bite
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.