(Makes 4, 6 inch round loaves)
- 1 cup tigernut flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup cricket flour
- 1 tbsp grass-fed gelatin
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp grain-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup pureed plantain (yellow-green)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated palm shortening – melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Arrowroot flour for dusting
- In a food processor, puree peeled plantain until smooth, then add in maple syrup, melted palm shortening, and vanilla, processing until fully combined.
- In a small bowl, sift together tigernut flour, arrowroot flour, cricket flour, gelatin, cinnamon, sea salt, and baking soda.
- In a small ramekin, dissolve the grain free baking powder in the lemon juice and water.
- Add both the dry mixture and baking powder slurry to the food processor, allowing the mixture to puree until a sticky dough has formed.
- Remove the blade from the food processor, fold in the raisins, and allow the dough to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the dough has rested, use floured hands to divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Form each piece of dough into a 4 inch wide, 1 1/2-2 inchs tall circular loaf, placing each on a parchment lined baking sheet. *If the dough is too sticky to handle, simply sprinkle more flour on top of the loaves until it is easier to work with.
- Score the top of each loaf with a knife, making a shallow crisscross.
- Place the baking sheet in a preheated oven, allowing them to bake for 25 minutes, until golden around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow the loaves to cool 10-15 minutes before removing and cooling further on a wired rack.
- Cut into fourths, slather with your favorite fat, and enjoy!
If you do not have cricket flour, it is worth trying to replace it with either more tigernut flour, or almond flour if you can have nuts.
Recipe from Beyond The Bite
To learn more about the health benefits of cinnamon
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.